Thursday, March 18, 2010

I love Everything Bagels!

Every year, my family comes to my house for Easter. I make a big brunch on Easter morning and one of our favorite items, is smoked salmon with cream cheese on bagels. My brother actually smoked the salmon for us the last two years, so I thought this year, I would make the bagels from scratch too! This was my first attempt at bagels and I used the Bread Machine Bagel recipe, but did it all by hand. First- I proofed the yeast in warm water and sugar.


Once foamy, I added in the bread flour and salt. I kneaded the dough until it formed a firm ball and then placed in a bowl to rise.


Once my dough was ready, I made 9 small balls, stuck my finger in the center of each, and gently twirled until I had a decent hole in the middle. After reading several reviews, I used this method instead of making a rope, because several reviewers said it came apart in the water bath.


After forming my bagels (kinda rough looking!!), I let them rest for about 20 minutes. Then I prepared my water bath. I chose to use baking soda instead of sugar based on other reviews. However, I think I may try a combo of baking soda and sugar next time.


I boiled my bagels for about 2 minutes, placed on a dish towel to remove some of the water and then transferred to sil-pat lined baking sheets.


I wanted to try a bunch of different flavor combos, because this was my experimental batch. I made one plain, 2 Salt, 3 Asiago Cheese, and 3 Everything (minus poppy seeds, which I didn't have). I used sesame seeds, dried garlic, red pepper flakes and salt in my "Everything" mix.
I brushed the bagels with beaten egg whites and then topped.


I baked them at 375 for 25 minutes. They turned out ok...but the flavor and texture weren't quite what I wanted. They were a little too soft for me, and I think I used too much baking soda in my water bath...oops!


My husband and daughter both gobbled them up. I will try again for sure!! Maybe the Boiled Bagel recipe next time!!


My favorite- The Everything Bagel!

No comments:

Post a Comment