Monday, March 8, 2010

It's fun feeding my husband the food he loves!

Sometimes the simple things can be the most delicious! My husband says that my Stuffed Green Peppers are at the top of the list of his favorite things I make...I love it when little work leads to great reward! The main dish of this recipe requires 6 ingredients, and the side dish requires about 3. The prep time is approx 10 minutes, which means a great meal with little time spent in the kitchen. As much as I love to cook, sometimes you need an easy go-to option.
This serves 2 adults.

For the peppers you will need:

2 Large Green Peppers
1/2 lb Hot Italian Sausage
A small can of Tomato Sauce (I like the basil and garlic flavor)
1 cup of cooked Rice (I use Wild Rice)
1/2 cup of Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 cup of Fresh Grated Parmesan


For the side you need 1 cup of baby carrots, 1 cup of radishes (quartered), a drizzle of olive oil and whatever spices you like to season with (I like lemon pepper and garlic salt). Throw the clean veggies on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season. Set aside. Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.


I like to stuff my peppers whole and I want them to stand up pretty, so I cut the knobs off the bottom to make a flat surface. Should look like this:


Next I brown 1/2 lb of Hot Italian Sausage. Once it is cooked through, I add in my cooked rice, 3/4's of the can of tomato sauce and the grated Parmesan. Heat until the whole mixture is warm. It should look like this:


Next- stuff the peppers with the hot mixture until it comes just over the top of the pepper.


Top your peppers with the shredded mozzarella (Fresh mozzarella slices are even better, but I went with what I had on hand). Put the peppers on the top oven rack and the radish/carrot combo on the bottom rack. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the cheese on the peppers has started to brown, and the veggies are tender.


***Side note...if you have never had roasted radishes, you MUST try them. I don't care for them raw, but I love them roasted with carrots. They compliment each other well!***

Serve up your pepper with a generous side of roasted veggies!


The inside is cheesy and delicious. This meal is eaten quickly at my house...with a few happy sighs from my hubby :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment