Saturday, August 28, 2010

Lovin' on Leeks!

I'm stepping out of order in my blogs...I have one more "Anniversary" feature, but I created a new soup last night and I just have to share!!
I had some leeks in the fridge and a few potatoes lying around, so I decided to mix up my own Potato Leek Soup. I put a few twists on mine to make it Cheesy Potato Leek Soup with Bacon :)


For this recipe, you will need:

2 Leeks,
5 Strips of Bacon
4 Medium Idaho Potatoes
3 Cups of Fat Free Chicken Broth
2 1/2 Cups of Skim Milk
1 1/2 Cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
A pinch of Cayenne for a subtle heat


Leeks are very sandy. Begin by slicing the stalk vertically and then slice across to make half moons. Separate the layers in a big bowl of water and dry thoroughly.


Place the cut bacon into your soup pot and cook over medium high until bacon is crispy.


Remove bacon from pot and place on paper towels to cool. Drain all but 2 TBS of the bacon grease.


Add the Leeks to the Bacon grease and cook until tender over Medium heat, about 5 minutes.

Peel and chop 4 medium Potatoes into one inch cubes and add to the Leeks. Stir in the chicken broth and milk. Simmer over Medium heat for about 20 minutes, or until Potatoes are fork tender.



Once potatoes are cooked, use a blender or an immersion blender to puree the soup. Make sure not to over blend, or it will become too starchy.



Remove from heat and stir in the Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Serve with reserved Bacon as a topping. Delicious!!

1 comment:

  1. This looks awesome, and I'm going to try it soon...thanks, Kathleen!!

    ReplyDelete