Tuesday, May 25, 2010

As if I needed another way to love enchiladas!

I love enchiladas. Beef, Cheese or Chicken...Green or Red- I love them all!! I saw this recipe for Chicken Enchilada soup and knew I had to try it. I decided to make it when I took a short girls trip with my mom and daughter. It was nice to heat a bowl of soup when we arrived and it was even more delicious with the Jalapeno Cheddar Foccacia Bread I made to go with it.

Here's how you make Chicken Enchilada soup. (Please note, I made several changes to this recipe to lighten it up, so the instructions are for my version). The recipe I built mine from was Chicken Enchilada Soup I.

Gather up your ingredients. I used 1 can of green enchilada sauce, 1 can of red enchilada sauce, 1 can of Rotel, 6 small corn tortillas, homemade chicken stock, 1% milk, shredded chicken and cheddar cheese.


Begin by cutting the corn tortillas into thin strips.


I threw them in the pot with 1 cup of chicken broth and cooked until the tortillas had mostly dissolved and the mixture was thick.


I stirred in both cans of enchilada sauce, the Rotel, 1 cup of milk and and additional 2 cups of chicken broth. I added 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and 1 1/2 cups of shredded chicken. I seasoned with a little cumin and black pepper.


To serve, I sprinkled with a little shredded Monterey Jack cheese and some crushed tortilla chips. This was super satisfying, thick and delicious! And took less time than making enchiladas! The recipe made a lot and was even better the second day.

No comments:

Post a Comment