Sunday, May 30, 2010

The appetizer I love to make for a crowd!

When I have to take an appetizer or picnic snack for a larger group, my go-to is Tortilla Roll-ups. I don't really follow a recipe any more, but this is similar to what my mom always made. It starts with 1 block of cream cheese, 1 (8 oz) container of sour cream, 4 green onions, 1 (4 oz) can of green chilies, 1 (8 oz) bag of cheddar, 4 oz of black olives (chopped), and 1 tsp of Lawry's seasoning salt with 8 burrito size, flour tortillas.


Once upon a time, I used to buy the little can of chopped black olives. One day I realized, that 4 oz can of pre-chopped olives cost more than the large can of whole olives. I own a food processor, why throw away the money! So, now I buy the large can of olives and throw about half the can in the food processor (or my mini-chopster) and pulse until chopped.


Mix 8 oz of cream cheese (I use low-fat) and 8 oz of sour cream (I use lite) until smooth.


Chop 3-4 green onions, whites and tops and throw in the bowl.


Add in olives, Lawry's, cheddar and chilies. Stir and spread by large spoonful onto each tortilla. Spread until it evenly covers the tortilla.


Roll up each tortilla and scrape any excess off so the outside of the tortilla doesn't get soggy when wrapped.


Wrap each log in a piece of waxed paper. I've found that plastic wrap and foil both make the tortillas soggy. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or over-night.


Depending on how much filling you like in your tortillas, this will make 6-8 logs. Refrigerate 3-4 hours or overnight.


Slice the ends off each log (reserve) and slice remaining tortilla into about 1 inch rounds.


Serve roll-ups with your favorite salsa or picante sauce for dipping.


And we like to save the ends to snack on before we go to the party. It's hard to wait that long!

No comments:

Post a Comment