Wednesday, June 2, 2010

You gotta love grilling when it's hot!

I don't know about you, but when it gets hot, I hate to use my oven! The last thing I need is to increase the temperature in the house by 5 degrees! I'm trying hard to learn new ways to use my grill. After watching a recent episode of Top Chef Masters, I decided to try my hand at grilled pizzas. They didn't go over very well with the judges on the show that night, but we love pizza, so it was a risk I was willing to take. Turns out- that was a good decision! I used the Grill Dough recipe for this.

It starts with proofing the yeast. I added the sugar to this step like I would with bread.


In another bowl, I added the flour and salt. I made a well in the middle, added the oil to the yeast mixture and mixed until a ball formed.


I kneaded the dough until smooth and then divided into 4 equally sized balls (for 4 small pizzas).


I placed the four dough balls on a silpat and covered with plastic wrap, sprayed with cooking spray. Set aside for 1 1/2 hours.


After 1 1/2 hours- they doubled in size and were very soft.


Roll to desired thickness (we like ours really thin). I didn't have cornmeal, so instead of oiling my grill, I coated both sides of my dough with olive oil and layered between pieces of aluminum foil to help transfer them to the grill. (By the way- getting them on the grill was the toughest part!)


Before you start grilling, make sure you have all your toppings prepared.


I grilled over charcoal, and the first side took about 1 1/2 minutes. I removed them from the grill and brought them back in the kitchen to top.


On the left: homemade pesto, pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage.
On the right: homemade pesto, sliced roma tomatoes and black olives.


On the left: tomato sauce, spinach, mushrooms, green peppers, and black olives.
On the right, tomato sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms and black olives.


I topped them all with an Italian pizza blend of cheese. I sprayed my charcoal with a little water to bring down the temp and then placed the pizzas back on the grill with the lid on for about 4-5 minutes. Watch them VERY closely! I did throw mine under the broiler for about 1minute inside to brown the cheese a bit.


Add a little fresh basil from the garden and enjoy! This was so yummy, and even the places that looked a little too black, did not taste burnt at all. A super fun project that will be repeated many times this summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment