Thursday, June 10, 2010

Giving veggies some lovin!

Time for the summer slim-down!! I've been trying to find new ways to incorporate veggies into our meals. I've always been a big fan of roasting, but it was time for something new! I had three ears of corn in the fridge that needed to be used. So, I decided to make a corn salad!
I've created the recipe, Kathleen's Kickin' Corn Salad- and here's how you make it.


Cut the kernels off three ears of corn. This was about 2 cups total and you could sub frozen corn for the fresh.


Remove seeds and dice one red bell pepper. I picked red because it added awesome color!


Chop whites and greens of 3 green onions. Place these three ingredients in a skillet with one TBS of olive oil and cook over medium heat.


While the corn cooks, chop your cilantro. You need about 2 TBS after it has been chopped.


Cook the corn mixture for 8-10 minutes until the peppers reach the texture you like. I like mine a little crunchy.


Season the corn mixture with 1/4 tsp each of garlic salt, black pepper, chili powder and cumin. If I had a jalapeno at home, I probably would have added one to the mix. But this ended up having a nice kick while remaining kid friendly.


Rinse one can of black beans and add to the skillet. Stir in the cilantro and add the juice of one lime.


Stir to combine and serve warm or chilled. I had it both ways and it was just delicious! I thought the flavors were even better the second day. I can't wait for local sweet corn!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment