Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I've Fallen in Love with Fondant!

I wanted to do a fairly intricate cake for Robyn's birthday this year. I didn't see how I could possibly pipe all the decorations, so I got brave and decided to try Marshmallow Fondant. It was awesome! Not only was it easy...it produced beautiful results that taste good!

Can you say, simple? Melt one bag of mini marshmallows and slowly add in 1 bag of powdered sugar, using butter to knead it into a soft dough.


Once the dough forms, I rubbed it with butter and wrapped in two layers of plastic wrap. Throw it in the refrigerator overnight at least, or until you are ready to use it.


On a side note...I wanted to do a large cake for this, but didn't want to buy a fancy pan. Instead, I lined a regular 9x13 with cooking spray and parchment paper. I was able to easily lift out my cakes. I made one white and one chocolate.


I placed both cakes on a piece of foam board from the craft store ($1) and used butter cream frosting to seal them together. I did a crumb coat, refrigerated and then applied my final coat of frosting. Set aside...


I used butter and gel colors to tint my fondant. I kneaded until the color was even (couldn't get a photo because my hands were a mess!!!!). Then place each color on a surface coated in powdered sugar.


Roll out to desired thickness. I used a sharp knife and cut all my shapes free form...except the 9 million hearts :) I used a mini cookie cutter for those.


Check out these bright colors! They came out just the way I was hoping. And note to self...don't start with red. My hands were pink for 2 days!

I adhered the cut-outs to the cake while the butter cream was still soft.

The finished product!!


And since I made this for Robyn's party and not her actual birthday, I needed to make a second treat for after dinner tonight!! I read about this in another blog, and it was perfect. To achieve the same consistency of a Great American Cookie Company Cookie, mix one tube of refrigerated cookie dough with 1/4 cup of karo syrup. Super healthy...I know! I'm all for homemade, but this is really yummy!


This makes enough for a 9 inch cake pan. Spray well and leave a little room around the edges for the cookie to expand.


I let the cookie cool and used my leftover butter cream and fondant to decorate. It was even easier to do a second time after I had learned to work with the fondant. I can't wait to use it again. What an amazing recipe :)

Happy 2nd Birthday, Robyn!

No comments:

Post a Comment