Monday, May 24, 2010

Summer is the perfect time to show Ice Cream some love!!!

Who doesn't love ice cream??? I especially love vanilla soft serve with hot fudge sauce...yum!! I set out in search of a great Fudge sauce. Mysweetcreations always makes me want to try new sweets, so when I discovered she had made Grandma's Hot Fudge Sauce, I knew it was the one to try! I was even more excited when I saw that I had all the ingredients in my cupboard!

You will need :

Sugar
Milk
Cocoa Powder
Butter
Vanilla


Start by melting the butter in a saucepan.


After butter is melted, stir in sugar, cocoa powder and milk. Heat until boiling and then boil for 1 minute.


After it comes to a boil, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla. Transfer to storage container, cool and then refrigerate until use. The end result was thick and fudgy. Absolutely the perfect Hot Fudge Sauce!!


And while fudge sauce is great...I encountered a recipe for Salted Caramel Sauce in my last copy of Food & Wine Magazine. I love the combination of caramel with chocolate and salt, so I had to make both!!!

You will need:

Sugar
Water
Karo Syrup
Butter
Heavy Cream
Gray Salt


In a medium saucepan, combine the water, sugar and Karo syrup. Heat until boiling. The creator of the recipe suggests using a wet pastry brush to push the crystallized sugar back into the mixture, but I just used a heat-safe spatula.


Once the mixture starts to boil, you will need to continue stirring and boil for approximately 6 minutes, or until the mixture turns an amber brown. Once it turns- pull it from the heat immediately so it does not burn!


Remove from the heat and stir in the cream and salt. Place in a storage container, cool and refrigerate until use. Both sauces made about 1 1/2 cups of sauce and can be stored for at least 1 week in the refrigerator.


"Hello" beautiful ice cream sundae! The Fudge Sauce was delicious and this Salted Caramel Sauce will impress anyone you serve it to- a true "HOME RUN!"

No comments:

Post a Comment