Thursday, October 14, 2010

Who knew I would love Chili as a "grown-up"?

Growing up, I hated chili. No beans please!! Well, now that I am "grown up", I LOVE chili! Or, I love my chili :) I actually love most chili now, as long it doesn't involve kidney or lima beans!


For my chili you will need: 2 cans of Chili Beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 can tomato paste, 1 onion, LOTS of garlic, 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef, 1 large can of tomato juice and to season (garlic salt, black pepper, Italian Seasoning, Chili powder and Cumin).

I start by browning my ground beef. As soon as it is mostly cooked, add one diced onion and several cloves of minced or grated garlic. Cook 2 minutes over medium heat.

I added a few over-ripe tomatoes from my garlic last time I made this. Add one can of tomato paste and cook one minute.

Stir in beans, tomato juice and canned tomatoes. I just keep seasoning to taste, but always start with 3 tsp of cumin, 5 tsp of dark chili powder, 2 tsp of black pepper, 1 tsp of Italian seasoning and 2 tsp of garlic salt. Sorry- no idea how much I add after that, just depends on my taste that day :) Cook for as long as possible on low heat...a minimum of 2 hours. I usually aim for 5-6 hours. Stir frequently!

Top with shredded cheddar and enjoy! It's even better the next day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment