Tuesday, April 13, 2010

An Asian-inspired creation we Love!

My husband loves my pot stickers. I developed my "recipe" years ago, before there were many great options found on-line. I am sure there is a better recipe out there now, but I still like mine :) It may not be "authentic" but I think they taste amazing.

Start by browning 1/2 lb of ground pork (Italian sausage if you like a little more heat).


While the pork is browning, chop 1/4 c mushrooms (about 6 large button mushrooms) into a small dice. Also dice 1/4 c green bell pepper (about 1/2 a pepper) and 3 green onions.

***I think this is a great recipe to make in the same week I make homemade pizzas, because I never use a whole container of mushrooms or my whole pepper!***


Add to this mix, 1/2 cup bagged coleslaw, or fresh chopped cabbage. Dress this with...here comes the strange part... 1/2 TBS ketchup, 1/2 TBS yellow mustard, 1/2 TBS Worcestershire Sauce, 2 TBS soy sauce and 1/4 tsp of sesame oil. Mix together and add the cooled sausage. I also grate in (using my micro plane) 1 TBS of fresh ginger and 2 cloves of garlic.

I refrigerate this overnight so the cabbage wilts a bit and all the flavors combine.


Then it's time to start stuffing your pot sticker wrappers (wonton wrappers work too). Wet the edges of each wrapper and place a small amount of filling in the center. Pinch the edges to seal...you can crimp if you want, or just seal them flat.


After I fill all my wrappers (my recipe fills 30), I cover them with a damp paper towel and heat my skillet.


Add a small amount of vegetable oil to a large skillet with a tight fitting lid. When pan is hot (about medium heat), place in pot stickers and cook about 5 minutes, until the bottoms are brown. Add about 1/4 cup of water to the pan and put on the lid. Let them steam for about 7 minutes, or until the water is gone and the tops seal tight on the filling. Remove cooked pot stickers and repeat with remaining.


I make a quick dipping sauce with 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 tsp of sesame oil, 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar and 1/2 TBS fresh grated ginger.

Serve and enjoy...chopsticks optional!


Even Robyn loved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment