Sunday, April 18, 2010

Healthy foods you'll love!

I read a lot of food magazines and online recipes. Somewhere, in the last two months, I read a recipe that was about revamping Chicken Parmesan. I know it used Wheat flour and Flax Meal, but I have not been successful in finding it again. Last night, I decided to get creative and the results were fantastic!!! I didn't use a drop of oil or butter in our whole meal.

First, the Chicken Parmesan. For this recipe you will need:
1 cup Whole Wheat flour
3 egg whites, beaten
1 cup Flax Meal
1/4 fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
3-4 BLSL Chicken breasts
A small can of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of shredded Low-Fat, Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese

Begin by pounding the chicken between sheets of waxed paper. I use a rolling pin or small skillet for this. I pound them thin so they cook evenly.


Next, place Whole Wheat flour in one bowl with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.

In a second bowl, beat 3 egg whites. I used 2 eggs for 3 chicken breasts and just barley had enough.

In a third bowl, mix Flax Meal with the fresh grated Parmesan, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp Italian Seasoning.

Dip each Chicken Breast in flour mixture, then eggs, then Flax and place on a Sil-pat lined baking Sheet.



Put in a 425 degree oven for 25 minutes. Pull out and top with 2 TBS of tomato sauce (I use Hunt's with Garlic and Basil).


And sprinkle on 2 TBS of shredded Mozzarella. Place in the oven for another 5 minutes.

I put mine under the broiler for the last minute because I like the cheese to get brown and bubbly!

For the sides, I knew I was going to roast broccoli, but I wanted a second dish and I had potatoes and spinach to use up. I spent a little time looking online for a recipe, but everything contained heavy cream and butter. So I made my own concoction, Figure Friendly Spinach Mashed Potatoes, and it was delicious!
Start by peeling and chopping four Russet potatoes. I cut mine into inch sized cubes. Throw them in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil. Boil for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender.


While potatoes cook, prepare the other ingredients. Grate 1/4 cup of fresh Parmesan cheese, and roughly chop 2 cups of fresh spinach.


When potatoes are cooked, drain water and return to pot. Add in Spinach, Parmesan cheese, 1 cup of chicken broth (I used homemade), 1 tsp black pepper, and 1 tsp of garlic salt. Stir over low heat until spinach starts to wilt, adding more broth if needed.


The end result- a beautiful meal that was delicious, and relatively guilt free!


No comments:

Post a Comment