Saturday, April 24, 2010

Loving a way to eat chocolate for breakfast!

I realize in much of the country, there seems to be a pumpkin shortage. Not here! I bought 6 cans just the day before Thanksgiving and had my choice between 3 brands. Needless to say, I decided it was time to use some of it! I love pumpkin, and my husband does not. I tried a new recipe looking for a "healthy" breakfast muffin that Robyn would love and I would eat too :)
I worked with this recipe (Pumpkin Wheat Honey Muffins)- and will admit, I made tweaks because I couldn't find a recipe that was exactly what I was looking for. I chose right, because this is a fantastic recipe!!


Begin by pulling out the large ingredient list! I subbed applesauce for the oil, and because I HATE nuts and raisins in my muffins/cakes/cookies, I used 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips. Chocolate is good for you, right??


This recipe calls for you to mix all the dry ingredients and then make a well, and add the wet ingredients. After reading the reviews on this recipe, I did up the pumpkin to 1 cup instead of 3/4. I also tasted the batter after mixing, and added an additional 1 tsp of cinnamon.


After the batter was combined, I added in 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and spooned into my muffin tins. I lined the large pan and after hitting 12 muffins, as the recipe said it made, I still had tons of batter. I got out my mini muffin pan, sprayed well and got 12 mini muffins from this recipe too!! That was a bonus :)


I baked them at 350 degrees. The mini muffins took 14 minutes and 18 minutes was spot on for the regular size muffins.


I didn't mix the chocolate chips in very well, so when I got to the mini muffin pans, there were about 5 chips in the bowl. I decided to top each mini muffin with one chocolate chip- just because it was cute!


These muffins were light, fluffy and moist. Not at all dense like I was expecting. Don't you love Robyn's muffin liners??


And I don't know about you- but the gooey chocolate chips inside made me VERY happy. No doubt, this will be a go to recipe for me. Even my pumpkin hating husband loved them! And they stayed moist for almost a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment