Monday, November 1, 2010

Every once in a while, I really love a hot dog!

Halloween means all sorts of goodies that are not "good" for you...so I decided it was a good day to have a not so healthy dinner too :) I don't know about you, but every once in a while, I crave a really good hot dog! And I just have to eat fries with my hot dog, but I did bake those :) For this hot dog fix, I chose to make Pretzel Dogs.


Start by proofing your yeast with sugar in warm water.

Add in salt and about half of the flour. Continue adding flour until dough is no longer sticky...you may not need it all. Knead dough until smooth. Cover and let rise 30 minutes. Knead again and let rise again for about 1 hour.

After dough has doubled in size, roll out into a rectangle on an oiled surface. Cut dough into strips...I used my pizza cutter.

Wrap around your hotdogs making sure to seal both ends....I used yummy Hebrew National hot dogs :)

I only did one package of hot dogs, so I made the rest into pretzel nuggets. Drop into the water bath and cook for 30 seconds. Place on a lined or oiled baking sheet and brush with egg. Sprinkle with salt...I only salted what we would eat the same day. Bake at 450 degrees for 12-18 minutes. The nuggets took less time.

Finished dogs and nuggets...

And dinner with my homemade oven fries...a happy dinner for Halloween :)

2 comments:

  1. You make everything look so delicious Kathleen! Thanks so much for trying these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a great recipe Jan!

    ReplyDelete