Saturday, November 6, 2010

Liked it, but didn't Love it.

Sometimes, a recipe looks better than it tastes. Unfortunately, that was the case with one of my recent meals. I found the recipe for Smoky Southwest Chicken and Wild Rice Soup on Allrecipes. Good, not Great.


The recipe called for canned carrots, which was strange because it uses fresh celery and onion...so why not throw in fresh carrots? I did. I cooked my veggies in the olive oil for a few minutes before adding my chicken broth. It also called for cream of chicken soup...which I don't usually buy, so I used a little extra chicken broth and some corn starch.


I used homemade chicken broth (4 cups) and fresh shredded chicken. Heavy cream, canned chipotle in adobo instead of a pinch of chipotle powder, chili powder, cumin, pepperjack, cilantro, and 1 cup wild rice (minus the spice packet) .


Throw in everything but the cream, wild rice, cilantro and pepperjack - cook until the vegetables are soft. I checked for seasoning at this point and added black pepper, salt and some jalapeno powder. I mixed 1 TBS of corn starch with a little chicken broth and added that to the pot along with the wild rice. Stir in the heavy cream and pepperjack. Heat until thickened. Last- stir in the chopped cilantro.


 I topped mine with a little more shredded cheese and a couple cilantro leaves. I guess I didn't get much smoky flavor from this, and I would have liked a LOT more spice. As far as Chicken and Wild Rice Soup goes, that is about what it tasted like, plain Chicken and Wild Rice. I'll keep searching for new ways to actually make mine Smoky with Southwestern flavors :)

No comments:

Post a Comment