Sunday, November 14, 2010

I love it when a plan emerges!

Sometimes I get sucked into buying something I don't have plans for, because the deal is too good to pass up. Last week, my grocery store had a crazy good deal on mushrooms...so I bought two packages. We like mushrooms, but I had no idea what I was going to do with these. We ended up having dinner out on Friday and Saturday, so they really needed to find a use on Sunday. I decided to make a big pot of soup for a cool Fall day. I went with Very Easy Mushroom Barley Soup!


First, dump all the mushrooms into a large pot and brown them in a bit of olive oil. I grated my garlic into the mushrooms while they cooked.

Chopped up a couple large carrots and a few ribs of celery. I love using the heart of the celery and the leaves...so good!


One onion...finely chopped.

I used Pearled Barley from my favorite store, The Calico Bean Market.

I like to stir the Barley in with the veggies and toast a minute before adding the stock.

My hubby is a meat lover, so I added a bit of light Turkey Kielbasa. 

Add in your chicken broth and seasonings. Let simmer until Barley is tender...mine took about 45 minutes.

One beautiful bowl of deliciousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment