Monday, November 1, 2010

October 29th- the day my love proposed :)

Friday was the 6-year anniversary of the day my husband proposed :) I decided I was going to make him a special dinner to celebrate...and then we ordered pizza! I did make him the dinner I had planned on Saturday, trying 2 new recipes!

The first was Mexican Pesto served on top of seared Tuna steaks. To go with the Tuna, I made a Hominy and Cheese Casserole, and a side of roasted radishes. It was delicious!!


To make the pesto you need: pumpkin seeds, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, a serrano chili and either Cotija or Parmesan Cheese.


I grate my garlic into the food processor so you don't bite into a chunk of raw garlic. Add all ingredients and blend until smooth. I only used about 3 TBS of olive oil instead of the 6 called for in the recipe.

The finished pesto- refrigerate until ready to serve. Any unused portion also freezes well!

On to the hominy! I had never had hominy before until I started exploring different cuisines. My husband really likes hominy, so I thought this was worth a try. The recipe calls for low-fat cream cheese and cheddar, but this is what I had on hand.

Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Then, add the green chilies.

Stir in the cream cheese until melted. I only made half the recipe because I wasn't sure we would like it.


Finally, add the hominy and mix well.


I opted to put the cheddar on top instead of mixing it in. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

 

While that baked, I did a quick sear on my tuna. I seasoned simply with salt and pepper so the flavor of the pesto would be the star.

The finished dish...all delicious and going into my regular rotation!!

1 comment:

  1. That looks awesome and I happen to have a tuna steak in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete