Sunday, September 19, 2010

I love a good bowl of tomato soup :)

The tomatoes keep coming this year...so I decided to try the recipe for Hearty Hot or Cold Roasted Tomato Soup. Pretty tasty! I have a few portions for the freezer. 

You start by roasting your tomatoes and garlic...


Place on a lined baking sheet and roast at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper before roasting.


I peeled my garlic and put in a foil pouch to roast it- the cloves were small and I knew they would burn cooking for an hour. I also added a little olive oil and salt to the foil packet.


My stock was frozen- so I put it in the soup pot over low heat while the tomatoes were roasting. I only ended up using 2 cups of chicken stock because I like a thicker soup.


Beautiful roasted tomatoes! I could eat them just like this.


The finishing elements...balsamic vinegar, basil and my handy dandy immersion blender.


Dump it all in the pot and puree!


The immersion blender made this nice and smooth- I didn't need to remove seeds or skins from my tomatoes.

Portioned for the freezer...it was a busy freezer day!


In addition to the soup, I added more applesauce and pesto to the freezer!


2 comments:

  1. That soup looks wonderful!! Do you can any of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't make enough to can...and I haven't done any canning before. I have a big deep freeze :)

    ReplyDelete