Monday, September 20, 2010

My Big Fat Italian Wedding Soup= True Love

Tis the season for soup! On the menu- my Italian Wedding Soup. This is a recipe I created for my hubby- there are many substitutions available, but this is how I make it. 


I use frozen tortellini, but you could use any dry pasta. I also prefer fresh spinach, but you can easily use frozen chopped spinach that has been thawed and drained. Finally- I like to use ground beef for my meatballs, but ground turkey or chicken would work as well.


In a large bowl- mix ground Beef, 1 Egg, 1/2 cup Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1/4 cup Bread Crumbs and 1 tsp each of Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning and Black Pepper. If you use seasoned bread crumbs, cut the Italian Seasoning back to 1/2 tsp.


Roll the beef mixture into meatballs- about 1 tsp of meat per ball. Let your stock heat up while you roll these.


Drop the meatballs into the hot stock and cook over Medium Heat for about 20 minutes.


You may need to skim the surface. When the meatballs are cooked through, they will float.


Add in 1 bag of frozen tortellini. Cook for 5 minutes over Medium Heat.


Add one bag of fresh spinach (stems removed and roughly chopped). I also love using the rind from my Parmesan Cheese. Just let it sit in the broth and it adds amazing flavor! I store the rinds in the freezer whenever I finish a hunk of cheese and save them for soups. Cook for another 10 minutes over Low Heat.


Fish the Parmesan Rind back out before serving the soup- it will be melted and gooey!


We serve ours topped with a little extra shredded Parmesan! YUM!!

1 comment:

  1. I am SO glad you posted this!! Thanks, I'm making this really soon!!! It looks amazing, thanks so much, Kathleen!!

    ReplyDelete