Thursday, January 27, 2011

The search for a loveable Vegetable Beef Soup recipe!

I've made several Vegetable Beef Soups...sometimes using a recipe, sometimes just winging it as I go. I've done some with Barley, some with Tomatoes and some I was just plain disappointed in. Not any more!!! I found the most delicious Steak Soup Recipe...the one I will use from now on. So perfect!



I used a lean bottom round roast for mine and cut into small cubes. I love that this uses celery leaves...such an under utilized flavor!! I love them :)

Begin by browning your meat and onions in a mixture of vegetable oil and butter. I only used 1 TBS of each instead of the 2 called for in the recipe. That was plenty for me!
 
I mixed together my flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Unfortunately, I only had 1 tsp of paprika left in my spice jar, so that is all that was added. It was perfect for my taste. Sprinkle the flour mixture over the browned meat and cook just a moment before adding your liquids. I did this all in the same soup pot instead of using two pots like the recipe suggests. Who needs extra dishes?! I added the water, beef broth, celery leaves and marjoram...brought to a boil then lowered the temp and simmered with the lid on for about 45 minutes.

I chopped up my carrots and celery while I waited for my liquids to boil.

When you are home alone with your two-year old and she sees you taking pictures, she wants to get in on the action :) She took this lovely photo of me cooking.

After your meat is tender, add in your carrots, celery and potatoes. I used two large russet potatoes that I peeled and cubed. Check your broth for seasoning at this point. I always need more pepper! This is also the point where you add your tomato paste. I only used half the can (3 oz) which was plenty for me. Cook another 20 minutes or so with the lid off over medium heat. Stir frequently so nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.



I also hate the idea of corn in any type of soup, and this needed some color, so I used frozen peas instead. Add in the last 5-10 minutes of cook time.

Isn't that a pretty bowl of soup?!! The flavor was wonderful, even better the second day. Hearty and packed with veggies. Perfectly yum- the search is over~

No comments:

Post a Comment