Saturday, January 22, 2011

A soup I've always loved!

I have always loved French Onion Soup. When I was younger, I used to order it in restaurants. I've requested it for a birthday meal a time or two... as a grown up, I learned how easy it was to make!


I only made two servings of soup...because I'm the only one that will eat it at my house! I used Beef Broth, Sherry, Butter, Onions, Black Pepper, Garlic Salt and Thyme in the soup.

Add about 1 1/2 TBS of butter and two thinly sliced onions to a saucepan. Cook slow over low heat. Stir frequently.

Gather all the delicious cheese you wish to top your soup with. I used Provolone, Parmesan and Swiss. It's so much better if you use a good Swiss cheese- but this is what I had on hand.

Cook the onions about 30 minutes until they are very soft and carmelized.

Add in about 3 cups of Beef Broth and about 2 TBS of Sherry. Season with Garlic Salt, Pepper and Thyme. Bring to a simmer.

Toast a couple of slices of French Bread until crisp- about 5 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

Ladle the soup into an oven-safe bowl. Top with crusty bread and lots of cheese! (I always bake mine on top of a cookie sheet to catch any drips)

Place under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve bowl on another plate...remember, the bowl is VERY hot!!

No comments:

Post a Comment