Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dear Julia....Thanks for teaching me to love cucumbers!

I've watched the movie, Julie and Julia no less than 6 times. I've read the book, as well as My Life in France. I was watching it again yesterday morning while I was working out...and I don't know how I missed it before! Braised Cucumbers...it sounded interesting enough that I googled a recipe as soon as I was finished. This ISN'T the recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but it is the recipe that popped up the most and was very basic. I knew I would be cooking it for just me, so I wanted something that was easy to make in a smaller portion. I don't know where the recipe originated!


1 large or 2 medium cucumbers
1 TBS of butter
1 tsp of lemon juice
a dash of salt
a pinch of dried mint


Begin by peeling your cucumber. Make sure to wash the skin before you peel it.


Cut into quarters and remove the seeds.


Slice into one inch chunks.


Heat butter in a large skillet, over medium heat, and add the cucumbers once it has melted.


Cover and cook over medium for 5 minutes.


Add in lemon juice, salt and mint. For the record- I had a jar of dried mint in a spice rack I had received as a gift. I don't care for mint, and it had never been opened, but I busted it out for this recipe!


Ta-da! I've never really enjoyed cucumbers. I eat them on my salads, or as pickles, but they certainly aren't something I seek out. Now- I LOVE them! What a unique concept. Totally surprising- even Robyn gobbled them up! Next, I'll try Julia's actual recipe...Concombres au Beurre!

3 comments:

  1. Although I'm not such a fan of cucumbers, I will say you did a wonderful job! :) The only way I eat them is drenched in ranch dressing on a salad. :P I grew mint in my herb garden last year and I have a ton of it dried left over. Sounds weird, but sometimes when I'm making Strawberry Jell-O I soak a little mint in the boiling water, and then remove the leaves before stirring into the Jell-O...mint really brings a new bright flavor to a lot of foods. :) Keep up the good work--you're on a roll lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abbey- I don't really "do" cucumbers either...but these were great!

    ReplyDelete