Sunday, July 18, 2010

I can't be stopped...I've discovered my love for making jam!

I've been inspired this summer by all the beautiful produce in the stores and Farmer's Markets. A week or so ago, I decided to use my dad's homegrown blueberries to make jam. It was such a success, that I decided to try the same concept with strawberries!! Strawberries and Jell-o were both on sale so cheap this week, I figured I had nothing to lose!

First, I began by chopping my strawberries into itty-bitty chunks :)


I used the full container of strawberries, minus the few we had for breakfast!


I added two cups of the chopped strawberries to one sauce pan.


In a second pan, I added one cup of strawberries and one cup of blueberries to make a blended jam.


For the Strawberry jam, I added 1 1/2 tsp of sugar-free Strawberry Jell-o. For the Strawberry-Blueberry jam, I used Lemon Jell-o.


To each pan, I added 1 cup of sugar and heated over high.


Once the mixture started to boil, I cooked it for an additional 2 minutes, and then transferred to my jars.


Since I already have a jar of Blueberry jam open in my fridge, I bought the "Ball" freezer jam jars. I put them all in the fridge upside down for one hour...this keeps all the strawberries from floating to the top. I then flipped the jars and let them sit overnight in the fridge to set-up. I kept one jar of the Strawberry jam out for sampling and put the rest in the freezer. These jars are great because they lock together when you stack them!


And for breakfast, homemade biscuits with Strawberry jam- delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh! Yummy! I'll have to try the Strawberry-Blueberry one...I LOVE blueberries!

    ReplyDelete