Monday, July 19, 2010

What's not to love....Fresh Blueberry Oat Bars!

I was feeling uninspired for breakfast today....so I decided to bake. I consider Apple Crisp to be perfectly acceptable for breakfast, so I figured a Blueberry Oat Bar could be breakfast too. It contains oatmeal :)


I couldn't find a recipe I like for Blueberry Crisp or Bars, so I used this Raspberry Oat Bar recipe and subbed in my homemade Blueberry Jam.


You begin by pre-heating your oven to 400 degrees. Cream together 3/4 cup softened butter and 1 cup of brown sugar. I added 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1 tsp of vanilla to this mixture.


Gradually add in the oatmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt mixture. This will be crumbly, but hold together if you squeeze it.


Press half the mixture into a greased 9x13 casserole dish.


Top with jam leaving a little room on the edges so the jam doesn't burn. I topped mine with a few handfuls of fresh blueberries too.


Top with remaining crumble mixture. I pressed this down a bit so it would stick after baking.


Bake for about 20 minutes, until golden brown. I love how the berries were peaking through the top after baking.


Yum! This was my "super healthy" breakfast today...with a few fresh berries for good measure!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to make this TONIGHT!!!! I was going to use my blueberries for muffins but forget that!! THis sounds wonderfuL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so delicious...I can't stop eating them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm......I would be eating some of the dough before it got to the bars!

    ReplyDelete