Sunday, July 18, 2010

I love a perfect summer supper!

After a wonderful trip to Cedar Falls this weekend, I had some gorgeous broccoli to use for dinner! Tonight's menu: Salmon Piccata, Rosemary Garlic Couscous, and Roasted Broccoli.
I cooked it the way we love best...roasted with garlic, red pepper flakes, olive oil and a little salt. Roast at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.


One of our favorite side dishes is couscous!


Tonight, I started by slowly infusing 1 TBS of olive oil with a few cloves of crushed garlic.

I added 1/2 TBS of fresh chopped Rosemary and 1 1/2 cups of homemade chicken stock. Bring to a boil, remove garlic cloves and add 1 cup of couscous. Stir, remove from heat, and cover.

After 5 minutes, fluff couscous with a fork.

Season two salmon fillets with salt and pepper. Seer in olive oil and transfer to a baking sheet. Throw in a 400 degree oven with the broccoli while you make the sauce.
For the sauce you need :
1 tsp Flour

3 TBS Lemon Juice

1/4 cup plus 2 TBS White Wine (You could sub chicken or seafood stock)
1/2 TBS of Capers (drained)

3 TBS of cold Butter

1 TBS fresh chopped Parsley

Add the flour to whatever olive oil remains in the pan from cooking the fish.


Add the lemon juice and wine over medium heat.

After the wine and lemon juice start to bubble, add capers and parsley. Remove from heat. Slowly melt in butter one Tablespoon at a time until the sauce is thick and creamy.
Serve by spooning the sauce over the fish and couscous. This is lemony and light with the perfect kiss of summer freshness!

9 comments:

  1. As usual awesome blog. I feel like making couscous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to make it just so I could use some of my fresh Rosemary :) Thanks Lareina!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I've never cooked with capers before..what are they exactly and what do they taste like? Thanks for another great blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abbey- Capers are a pickled flower bud...they are salty and a little tangy. I just love them! Frequently used with fish and chicken...often put in tartar sauce as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You keep them coming fast and furious and full of love. This one stars two of my favourites: salmon and broccoli. I had a bad first encounter with couscous, but hmmmm infused with garlic? May be worth a reintroduction. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pickled flower bud, eh? I'll definitely have to give them a try! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbey- you find them near the pickles and olives at the grocery store. The jar isn't very big :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TWOnline- We LOVE couscous...it's so easy to flavor however you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my favorite things....Salmon and Couscous! Great Blog, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete