Saturday, July 10, 2010

I forgot how much I love Macaroni salad!!!

A summer favorite I had completely forgotten about! Thanks Abbey for making me think of this :)
I don't know where my mom got the recipe, but she made this Macaroni salad every summer when I was growing up. Of course, back then....I wouldn't eat the peas!!!


I made a half batch. The recipe I have calls for:

1 cup of mayo (I used light)
1/2 cup of sour cream (again, I used light)
1 lb of macaroni (I used Whole Grain shells)
2 cans of tuna in water (drained)
1 8 oz block of cheddar cheese (cubed)
1 cup of frozen peas
1 tsp of celery salt
1/2 tsp of onion salt...which I didn't have so I used a little garlic salt and a little onion powder.


Mix together mayo, sour cream and seasonings.


Add in tuna- I still used 2 cans in a half batch because I was serving it as a main dish.


And cheese- I used about 1/3 of the block.


Place peas in the colander and run cold water over them. After the pasta has cooked, I add cold water to the boiling pot and then dump the whole thing over the peas to chill down the pasta and thaw the peas.


Add peas and pasta to the bowl and mix to combine. I love using the shells because the peas get stuck in them :)


Chill well and enjoy- A perfect meal for a hot summer day!

7 comments:

  1. Macaroni salad rocks!! Great post, Kathleen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks WW- it was a childhood favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathleen, I have been in the blogging world out here for almost 3 years now. Any thing you need to know, please don't hesitate to contact me! honeyb at tds dot net!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathleen, guess I'm coming to blogspot! (DaveinDenver)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Grumpy and Dave- and thanks for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, good for you, Kathleen. Congratulations on your new locale and growing following. Hezzy (_tant_Cook) here, stopping by to wish you well in your continuing cooking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by Hezzy :)

    ReplyDelete