Saturday, July 17, 2010

I love playing with my kitchen toys :)

I saw a recipe the other day for Low Carb Cauliflower Leek Soup. I didn't really care if it was low carb or not...I was just excited that it would present another opportunity to use my immersion blender!! I bought my cauliflower, leeks and fresh garlic at my Farmer's Market. The garlic cloves were HUGE but I'm ok with that, because I love garlic!
After reading all the reviews on this recipe, I decided to roast my cauliflower and garlic. I sprayed them with olive oil spray and threw in a 400 degree oven.
In the mean time, I sliced and cleaned my leeks. This was actually my first time using leeks, but I've watched enough TV to know how sandy they can be.
I separated them into small rings and rinsed in a big bowl of water, and then put them through my salad spinner.

I sautéed the leeks in 1 TBS of butter until they began to soften.

Then I added in my cauliflower and garlic and cooked another 3-4 minutes.
I added in 4 cups of chicken broth because I didn't have any veggie stock on hand. I cooked this on medium heat for about 20 minutes until all my veggies were very soft.
Now, time for some fun!!! I got this handy toy as a wedding gift from my California cousins :)
If your liquid is too shallow, it will explode everywhere. You want your immersion blender fully submerged before you turn it on...and you can tilt the pan if you need a little more "depth". Blend until smooth.
I tasted mine at this point. It was pretty bland. I decided to use 1/2 cup of the cream and added tons of black pepper and some garlic salt.
The first night, I served it topped with some homemade garlic croutons. It was ok...but not memorable. Kinda reminded me of baby food. Robyn loved it and ate two bowls, which meant I still had leftovers. I don't throw much out...so into the fridge it went.
Like many things, it was much better the next day. It probably helped that this time I decided to top it with a couple tablespoons of extra sharp cheddar! I actually really enjoyed this bowl. I will make it again...but I won't eat it until the second day :)

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you made this, we liked it too the next day better then the first day, but I love leeks, my deal was, at the base commissary, they were like Fred Flinstone size leeks, and actually I haven't seen smaller in ages, mine was more like Low Carb Leek and Cauliflower Soup, then the other way around. I'm taking notes to roast mine the next time I make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad everything worked out in the end, your pictures are great. :) The bowl with home-made croutons looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pics, Kathleen! This sounds so good to me. I love roasted cauliflower. I also love my immersion blender- they're so much fun, aren't they? :) Leeks are funny to me- they seem like green onions on steroids. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I also like to roast my cauliflower when I'm making soup - adds so much flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathleen, I just found your new blog and I am loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to you, I'm loving most any veggie roasted now! This sounds so good, I think I'll save the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks great, and I'm sure Bob would totally eat that! Thanks, Kathleen!!

    ReplyDelete