Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Giving more love to my homegrown herbs!

I love Pasta, but it isn't very diet friendly...at least not when you want to eat it every day! Many times, beans make a great substitute! Once again, I decided to utilize all the fresh herbs growing in my yard and make a tasty side dish for dinner! On the menu...Pan "Fried" Tilapia, Roasted Broccoli and Herb-a-licious Tomato White Beans. For the beans you need :

1 TBS Olive Oil
1 clove of Garlic (grated or finely minced)
1 tsp fresh Oregano
1 tsp fresh Thyme
1 tsp fresh Rosemary
1 – 15 oz can of Great Northern White Beans
1 TBS Tomato Paste
1/3 cup Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

Grate one clove of garlic into the oil.


Chop the Rosemary, Thyme and Oregano. Add to the oil and cook for 2 minutes to infuse the oil.


 Drain and rinse the beans and add to the hot oil,garlic and herbs.

 

Stir in 1 heaping Tablespoon of Tomato Paste.

After the tomato paste is fully incorporated, add 1/3 cup of chicken broth. Turn heat to Medium-Low and simmer for 5 minutes.


I think this pairs beautifully with chicken, fish and beef! Rich and delicious...you won't miss the pasta :)

2 comments:

  1. Kathleen, that sounds delicious! I like beans, but I need to pry my husband and daughter away from the pasta! They might like this! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine! My two year old will eat just about anything, so she is fun to experiment on. I don't think this tastes like beans...and you could sneak some Ditalini pasta in with it to ease them in!

    ReplyDelete