Thursday, July 8, 2010

I love a food so versatile!

Taco meat. It has so many uses!! I like to make it in large batches and see how many ways I can use it. It freezes great and is very budget friendly.

I start by browning 2 lbs of lean beef in a very large skillet.


While the meat is browning, I dice one large green bell pepper...


And one large, white onion.


Add these to the meat after it is mostly cooked and cook until they are softened.


Add in your favorite taco seasoning and water. I've tried making my own seasoning and following a few different recipes, but I always go back to Old El Paso :) To make this stretch even further, you could add in a can of black beans!


Dinner idea 1: Taco salad! Make a nice bed of lettuce and top with taco meat, shredded cheese, tomatoes, crushed tortilla chips and a little taco sauce. You can dress it up more with some black olives, black beans, raw onion or a little ranch dressing.


Dinner idea 2: Mix taco meat with salsa and your favorite rice (Mexican Rice would work well). Stuff into Green Bell Peppers, top with cheese and bake. Ta-da- Stuffed Peppers!


Dinner idea 3: Top your favorite pizza crust with taco meat and a nice Mexican cheese blend. After it has been baked- top with tomatoes, lettuce, and your favorite taco sauce or salsa.


Dinner idea 4: Layer taco meat, cheese, and tortilla chips in an oven-safe dish and heat in the oven until cheese is melted. Add your favorite nacho toppings and salsa!


Dinner idea 5: Place a tortilla in a skillet with your favorite cheeses and some of the taco meat for a quick quesadilla! This is a wonderful way to get your kids to eat something new. My daughter loves to dip hers in salsa.


I ran out of meat after making all these meals, but I also use this meat to make Sloppy Joes with a taco twist. You get the idea...the possibilities are endless! It's so nice to have something prepare on hand that can be used in so many ways :)

3 comments: